Thursday, January 8, 2009

Music Ed Medley

In my opinion, none of the following pieces of conversation are worthy of their own post. However, I think collectively, they offer a pastiche that provides some keen insight into the "music education" that occurs at my school. I use that term loosely.


D is an eighth grader with multiple years of instrumental playing experience...

D: "I don't get it. If this is G, what is this note? (points to first ledger line above the treble clef)"
Mr. F: "Well, what note comes after G?"
D (earnestly): "H."
Mr. F: "Have you ever played an 'H' before?"
D: "Oh, oh, oh. A"
Mr: F: "Right, it always starts over again at A"
D: "Wait, it goes in order!? I been thinkin' this whole time that they were just like random letters!"

A is a sixth grader who has played clarinet for 3 months...

Mr. F: "We're on exercise 17"
A: "I don't know what note to start on. It doesn't say it in my book"
Mr. F: "Right there in the first measure, what note is that?"
A: "An E"
Mr. F: "Okay, so there you are."
A: "Yeah, but what note do I play?"

E is an eighth grader, new to band this year:

E: "Aight, aight. Ima be honest. Da only reason I wanted to be in band was for da girls. I didn't know it'd be so much work, son!"

No comments: