Thursday, September 25, 2008

The student becomes the master

On a day when, after waking up late, I neglected to even look at my hair (let alone trim my beard), some students leapt at the chance to tell me about it:

D: "Mista, you look NAPPY today!"
Mr. F: "Not that it matters, but I really didn't have time to do my hair this morning."
D: "Yeah. We can tell!"

T: "Mista, you look like Mr. Tumnus!"
Mr. F: "I'm sorry, I don't know him."
T: "No he's from Narnia! He's the goat man! You look just like him!"

F: "Mista, you know who you look like today?"
Mr. F: "I know, I know. Mr. Tumnus from Narnia. Someone already told me that one."
F: "No! You look like that monkey from Dora! What his name is? Boots! You look like Boots!"


Since I expend a good deal of effort and time here mocking students, I think it's only fair that I also use this forum to validate their mockery of me. The previous comments were unprompted, and in some ways, I am glad that my students have become comfortable enough to tease me (perhaps, even, in a manner more playful than malicious).

2 comments:

Phil said...

that's true, man. in all seriousness, my students poked fun at me ALL the time. it's probably a good thing.

The Opinionator said...

Mista, you look like a homeless Ben Stiller...