Monday, June 8, 2009

Beyond the Fail

The fact that music, as a subject, is not factored in to a student's GPA at times makes it difficult to use the idea of receiving a good or even a passing grade as an incentive for students to come to class, to behave in class, to not curse in class, etc.. One small weapon in my arsenal of incentives is that while music is not a weighted class, a passing music grade is required for a student to graduate from high school. Passing my class is really not difficult. I would say it is insultingly easy, and this is no blithe admission; I wish I could make it harder. To pass my class, you really just need to:
  • show up on time (the class meets 3 times a week)
  • have a pencil
  • participate in class sometimes
  • read basic rhythmic patterns
  • do the 3 homework assignments assigned all semester
Seriously. I may as well just make the only requirement be having a pulse.

So I can't help but think it's comical that one student, N, has failed my class three times since I have been teaching (in other words, every semester that I have been teaching), and is well on his way to a fourth time. This was apparently news to him (though he averages 75% attendance, 100% tardiness, and 0% clue as to how to read music):

N (in front of the whole class): What I gotta do to pass your class! I come! I do work! I hit the drum, bang bang. Why I'm not passing your class?"

Mr. F: "We can discuss this in private. I'm not sure everyone needs to know your business."

N (continuing): "Why everyone else passes but not me? They talking to me about graduation next year, but they say I gotta pass your class. I failed three times now."

Mr. F: "Seriously, let's talk after class."

N (still ignoring me): "You're holding me back from my life! I know people that started with me that have masters degrees, but I'm stuck in your class! You're stopping me from getting on with my life!"

He'll be back in the music room next fall.

No comments: