Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Social Mobility

This conversation is without question the funniest part of my year so far:

R:
"But you don't even watch TV!"
Mr. F: "Well, that's really because I can't afford cable."
R: "Na, but people be livin' in the hood and still get cable."
Mr. F: "I live in the hood!"
R (laughing): "What hood you live in?"
Mr. F: "I live in neighborhood X"
R: "For real? That is the hood! Do you get scared walking home late at night, mista?"
Mr. F: "Not at all. I mean come on, look at me."
R: (laughing again) "Exactly. Look at you..."
Mr. F:  "Ha, ha. I actually feel pretty safe.  I just don't have cable."
R: (still laughing) "So wait. You did well in school, got a college scholarship, got a degree and then moved INTO the hood? Your life sucks!"

1 comment:

NattyD said...

He's got ya there, F