Monday, March 23, 2009

Messing with the bull

Recently, to help provide my students with a better understanding of the development of their modern band instruments (and to relieve myself of teaching duties on a Friday), our ninth grade band took a field trip to a museum that features an entire wing dedicated to musical instruments.   To maximize student engagement and to minimize the chances of something very expensive getting broken, I prepared a fact scavenger hunt for my students.   While nothing blogworthy happened at the museum or even on the trip (which I can only assume is for the better),  I couldn't help but to laugh during the review session.

In response to the question, "What was the original purpose of the French Horn?", one student was not quite on the scent:

Y:  "Yeah, so the Horn was used for hunting right?  That's what it said, it said 'Used in the hunt'.  My only question is, how did they kill the animal with the horn?  Did they put it's head in the thingy and blow really hard or something?"

No comments: