Monday, December 8, 2008

Two for One

Since these two entries are related by subject matter, I present here a double feature:

Not too many weeks ago, during the heart of the fall semester, I received a text message from a good friend of mine, Mr. S. Mr. S teaches music to entitled suburban kids. The text message is as follows:

"Just heard 'you beastin'!' in the hall"

As some readers may or may not recall, my students were using this slang almost exactly a year ago; entry dated 12/10/07.

Because my students are the innovators and early adopters of urban slang, I have access to the kind of colloquialisms suburban kids can only dream of. Here are this year's biggest hits (with translations provided):

"Yo, I'm NICE wid' it, son!" (That is something at which I demonstrate proficiency)

"It be MAD BRICK out!" (It is very cold outside)

This next one I have heard as a verb and an adjective:

"You B.P.in', mista" or "You mad B.P. mista!" (Mister, you present symptoms of being bi polar)

"Yo, I'm DEAD ASS, son!" (I am serious, son!)

No comments: