Monday, November 24, 2008

Like a...

The following story is borrowed from Ms. T; a first year science teacher. I've overheard students saying that she is "the second best science teacher" at our school; not a garish accolade for someone so new to the profession. Here is her account of a Friday morning (with a bit of my own terrible paraphrasing):

The 'Friday Questions' box was designed to deflect unrelated questions so as not to interrupt class. I wanted the students to know that I valued their interest
and curiosity, but was serious about keeping the flow and routine of my class. At the end of the week, I took 15 minutes from the beginning of class to answer the questions in the box.

The questions were as follows:
1. Why so serious all the time?
2. Why aren't you married?
3. When did you lose your virginity?

At this point in the story, Ms. T, playing the part of serious teacher, reprimands the class for the inappropriate nature of the questions. She tells them how disrespectful such an abuse of the question box is, and how disappointed she is in them for their lack of maturity. Then, a voice from the class:

"Does that mean you're still a virgin?"

No comments: