Saturday, October 18, 2008

Sailing the ocean blue

Following Columbus Day this and last year, I asked students what they know about Columbus and why they think we have a day off for his achievements. From their answers this year, I have extracted the following information:

Columbus, in 1896, landed in Virginia, though he was attempting to travel to Africa.

After our Columbus discussions in the past two years, I have informed students that, in my opinion, they would benefit greatly from reading "A People's History of the United States" by Howard Zinn. The following is a brief discussion about the book:

Mr. F: "So in this book, the author tells the same history that you've all learned in classes, except from the point of view of the oppressed majority, not the rich, ruling minority."

K (loudly, staring in my eyes): "White people!"

Mr. F: "Absolutely, though in the book, many of the oppressed are actually poor white people from Europe."

K (still staring): "I hate Europeans."

Mr. F: "Well then, it's a good thing I'm American."

K:
"Pfft"

I don't think that I have figured out the correct way to frame this post. The conversation, which was intended to demonstrate to the students that I am knowledgeable about things other than music, became something else completely. While I can laugh at it, I have to keep in mind that there is perhaps a more serious subtext.

No comments: