Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Teacher's Choice

I would not believe that I have said some of these things had I not been there to hear them. Most of these have been said to middle school students. Continuing a trend of less humorous posts, these are a actually a little tragic, and sadly, they have all been uttered too frequently.


"No, no. I'm sorry. I'm not listening to you. What you have to say is not important to me right now."

"Why do you continue to think that you make the rules in my room? You can follow my rules or you can get OUT."

"It is time for you to shut your MOUTH."

"Mr. F said your seat is THERE. No, no. Mr. F said. Mr. F said. End of discussion."

(while pointing at student) "Student."
(while pointing at self) "Teacher".
Repeat as necessary. A reminder of what grade the student is in can also be helpful, accompanied of course by more pointing.

My last phrase is actually a theme with variations:

Theme: "You're not sorry."

Variation 1: "You're not sorry. You're only sorry because I said something"

Variation 2:
"You're not sorry. You will be, but you're not."

Variation 3:
"You're not sorry. Sorry implies something completely different than what you are."

Variation 4: "You're not sorry. Next time, say, 'I did it on purpose', because then you would be telling the truth."

Variation 5: "You're not sorry. Next time, say, "I don't care', because then you would be telling the truth."

1 comment:

Phil said...

Hey man - regardless of what kind of school you teach in, almost every student needs to told this in one way or another at some point. I have said some of these things to my privaleged CT kids. Hang in there...show them who's boss!