Thursday, September 20, 2007

Biting my tongue

This post may cater to a slightly esoteric and limited crowd of music majors, but nevertheless...

In a student's first trumpet lesson, regarding the topic of hand position, he was given this advice: (for those non-music majors reading, I have bolded the unsettling parts)

What you want to do now is put your pinkie in the pinkie ring on the top here. Good. That's because as you play, later on you'll use that pinkie to pull the trumpet towards your face to create pressure. Excellent.

4 comments:

Phil said...

Good God, no, not pressure!

WD said...

I had the second-most points last week! You can't bust my balls when I score over 200. Just wait 'til we play.

Anonymous said...

hey man... i don't know - Queen had a good point when they sang that song...

Anonymous said...

And then my student said (with indian accent):

"Why don't we treat the cosine component of a fourier series about an antisymmetric interval?"

I couldn't make this stuff up...